Wednesday, September 29, 2010

6 years ago...seems only yesterday

6 years ago today at exactly 2:10 P.M. I gave birth to an 8lb 10.4oz 21" perfect baby boy.  It is oddly unsettling to think how quickly these past 6 years have passed, as it seems that only yesterday this was happening, let alone multiple YEARS!  Where has the time gone and what has it done with my "baby"? 

I still remember as clearly as a cloudless summer day, the way I felt when I woke up in the morning to check into the hospital and get induced, the way I felt when the induction began for this child (as this time I knew what to expect!), the labor, every contraction, visitor, the sound of laughter in my room even when it wasn't coming from me, the scary parts that brought me to the brink and the calming people that brought me back.  I still remember, as if it were happening right now, when those 4 life changing words were spoken; "It's time to push" especially since they were uttered by my sister and my nurse because the doctor hadn't quite skidded on in yet.  You can imagine that with all of these memories so vivid and alive that the actual memory of his birth is even more so in my head than my physical brain.  I cannot conceive; nor do I want to how I could ever forget or even dull, blunt or fade the edges of the memories until they slowly leave me.  I hear people talk about this happening and I cannot imagine.  This to me would be irreversible damage that I could see no way of over coming.  I want to remember, I want to hang on, I want for it to always every day seem like only yesterday.  This is no small happening in life, and it has made me who I am.  I thank god every minute of every day for my children and for the ability and right to call these memories my own and also for the fact that nothing but him can ever take them away from me.  6, 10, 25 years......it will always seem as it were only yesterday.







  


2 comments:

  1. I like your blog Abby... you are a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just getting it done that always gets in my way! Thanks, and yes you have always believed in me on the writing issue as well as many other things. Thank you friend.

    ReplyDelete